Mumbai - a stay in the mighty city of India
If you are planning a visit to Mumbai, the capital city of the Masharashtra state of India, you are heading to the financial heart of India and the fourth most populated city in the world with over 20.5 million inhabitants. You can expect to find yourself in a pulsating, vibrant city “that never sleeps'.
Air France flies to Mumbai from different US airports, with flight and hotel packages, cheap flight offers and more…
Mumbai - travel tips for this great Metropolis
Mumbai is made up of seven islands on the west coast of India and has a tropical climate visited by the Monsoon rains between June and September; the summer season is our spring in the east, between March and June, so pick the period you wish to experience, knowing come rain or shine, you will always feel warm at the very least!
You will have a choice for getting around in Mumbai: by train and bus, taxi or the more traditional rickshaw, an authentic way to explore the city. You may even be one of many to try the new Mumbai Metro, the construction of which is expected to be complete in 2013! For an easy and convenient way to see the numerous sights of the city, you could try a ride on the Mumbai Darshan tourist bus that will battle through the heavy traffic and congested streets for you, allowing you to soak up the atmosphere.
The major attractions of Mumbai include:
- The Prince of Wales museum - Tibetan and Nepali art, Indian decorative arts in the former Military Hospital, the building is a fine example of Indo-Saracenic architecture, a blend of several Indian styles
- Mahalakshmi Temple - join the many Indians who come to worship the Goddess of Wealth, to whom the temple is dedicated. It is a beautiful and ornate temple.
- Juhu Beach - a stunning beach lying in Mumbai's fashionable district, you will find a vibrant nightlife, eateries, and vendors of all kinds.
- Gateway of India - this monument was built to commemorate the visit of King George the Fifth, an example of Indo-Sarcenic architecture bearing witness to India's colonial past.
- Chowpatty Beach - a carnival atmosphere on this beautiful beach, busy with people from all walks of life
Mumbai, birthplace of Indian cinema, one of the largest film industries in the world, the great Bollywood is ever present. On your excursions, you may even come across a movie shooting on Juhu Beach, a popular site for film sets The “Las Vegas of India”, the “Los Angeles” of India”, for entertainment, prosperity and glamour, Mumbai has certainly earned its referent names…
Mumbai - a city that celebrates
Be sure to find out more about the various festivals in Mumbai, true moments of celebration of faiths, customs and traditions of the many cultures and religions that co-exist in this vast city. Major festivals such as the Buddha Purinama celebrating the birth of Buddha in April or May or the Ganesh Chaturthi in September, the worship of Lord Ganesh, the God of Wisdom in all his colorful glory engulfs the entire city.